Friday, December 21, 2007

Satan in the Supermarket



"Better to shop in Hell, than serve in Heav'n."

I’m not sure you will catch sight of Satan wandering the aisles of Tesco, however, pushing a shopping trolley, forked tail draped loosely over one arm, while he picks out bottles of Christmas sherry from the shelves, two for the price of one.

You will, however, find Mammon there.

Jacques Auguste Simon Collin de Plancy in his Dictionnaire Infernal (1818) describes Mammon as “Hell’s Ambassador to England.” And you might add that Christmas is his time of year.
Link
Read more here.

2 comments:

Aquila ka Hecate said...

I completely failed to spot the Arch Fiend this weekend in my local version of hell, Sandton City.

His demons were prevalent, however, cunningly disguised as shop assistants dressed in about a week's worth of (my) salary.

The funny thing is - this version of the undwerworld totally failed in its objective of making me want to buy anything.I left empty handed, and spent my six-year gift vouchers in another place, futher away and more friendly.

Love,
Terri in Joburg

Anonymous said...

The image of Satan with his tail draped over his arm tickles me silly. I suppose even he would think it rude to nail some poor kid in the eye with its pointy tip before they got to see their Christmas presents.